If you are a health and fitness freak, or you’re on a weight loss diet, then you already know broccoli is healthy. Ut do you know HOW healthy it is? This is one cruciferous vegetable you cannot ignore because there are important benefits of eating broccoli.
One cup of steamed broccoli is loaded with essential vitamins, minerals and omegas. Some research has shown broccoli nutrients are sensitive to how long you steam it, so the total steaming time should be 4 minutes tops. But before you go looking up healthy broccoli recipes online, here’s why broccoli is a good addition to your diet.
Health Benefits of Eating Broccoli
- Anti-Cancer: The number one reason that broccoli is good for health is to prevent cancers. Cancer research has proven that chronic inflammation, insufficient detoxification, and stress are the major triggers of cancer. Broccoli is believed to be anti-cancer because of its anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and detoxifying properties. In fact, a sulphur-rich chemical sulforaphane in cruciferous greens, such as broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage help lower the risk of lung and colorectal cancer as well as boost DNA repair in cancer cells.
- Immunity and Anti-Ageing: Studies show steamed broccoli reduces the risk of a heart attack by boosting the body???s immunity. Broccoli contains more vitamin C than an orange of equal weight. Vitamin C is great for fighting infections, is good for skin and hair and blood health.
- Arthritis and Bone Health: Sulforaphane blocks cartilage damage and can slow down osteoarthritis. Broccoli is packed with vitamin K ??? one cup has double the required daily value. Vitamin K helps blood clot and keeps bones healthy. It is also an important nutrient during pregnancy. Broccoli is a good source of calcium, folate and iron ??? all essential for healthy bones and for women???s health.
- Heart Health, Especially for Diabetics: Heart disease is linked to diabetes and damaged blood vessels. Broccoli is a great source of fibre, which lowers blood sugar levels.
- Blood Pressure and Kidney Health: Yet another study shows that sulforaphane improves blood pressure and kidney function.
- Weight Loss and Fitness: Whether your goal is fitness, muscle gain or fat loss, broccoli can help you reach your goal. Broccoli is awesome for low-carb diets ???it has only 1 gm of carbohydrate per 100gm! To see the long-term health effects of a broccoli diet, you should eat 5 cups of broccoli per week, or ?? cup daily.