What is the Weight Loss Plateau Effect?
As most individuals who follow a diet regimen after a certain point do not see any changes in their body weight, as they have reached a plateau where they are now confused and in stress that even after following a balanced diet and exercising regularly they are unable to reduce more of their body weight and it is stagnant. Here is the solution to most of the questions of the individuals. It’s called the Plateau Effect- the inability to lose weight is known as a weight loss plateau or stall, and it can be frustrating and discouraging.
7 Ways to Balance the Weight Loss Plateau Effect
To cut down down on this Plateau effect there are certain changes which needs to be brought about like changes in the diet, exercise, protein intake of the individual, sleep pattern, stress management and water intake.
- The diet of the person should include more fiber rich foods like whole fruits, whole grains, mainly including soluble fiber (oat bran, nuts, citrus fruits, apple, barley) which will require more water consumption for its digestion, which will help in breaking the weight loss plateau. Fiber promotes weight loss by slowing the movement of food through your digestive tract, decreasing appetite and reducing the number of calories your body absorbs from food.
- Including more protein in the diet, and less carbohydrate rich foods specially refined and processed foods should be restricted. Increasing Protein intake like milk and milk products, lean meat like chicken, egg should be included in the diet.
- Moreover, maintaining a high protein intake can help protect against the loss of muscle mass and a drop in metabolic rate, both of which typically occur during weight loss. Please consult a dietitian before you decide on how much protein you should take according to your ideal body weight as protein overload may also have adverse effects.
- Sometimes, it may seem as though you’re not eating that much, yet you still have difficulty losing weight. Its very Important that you record what you are eating as unknowingly you may eat a lot more calories than required. Hence you can maintain a food dairy to record your daily food intake with the quantity’s you are consuming or use any nutrient calculating app to maintain a record of what is your daily calorie intake.
- Its very important to keep changing your exercise intensity and the exercise pattern as this may also be the factor which is causing the weight loss plateau. Increasing the intensity of the weight training and the pattern of exercises which you are following is very important to again reboots your metabolic rate and to reverse the weight loss plateau effect.
- Stress can often put the brakes on weight loss. It may seem as though you have little control over the stress in your life, but research has shown that learning to manage stress can help promote weight loss.
- Insufficient sleep can interfere with weight loss by reducing your metabolic rate and shifting your hormone levels to promote hunger and fat storage. To support weight loss and overall health, aim for 7–8 hours of sleep per night.
These are simple guidelines for breaking ones weight loss plateau, and you are still unable to achieve your target weight we are there to support and guide. Connect with Nutridiction for expert advice by Dietitians.