You will find vinegar in many kitchens. It is used in chutneys, salad dressings, marinades, vinaigrettes, and food preservatives. It contains almost zero calories, adds flavour to the food and is not bad for health. Consuming raw vinegar in small quantities is considered safe too. But nowadays, apple cider vinegar is grabbing all the attention of health and wellness fans. ACV is being used worldwide in the name of good health and well-being.
Let’s see what apple cider vinegar really is and how it can benefit you.
Apple cider vinegar (sometimes referred to as cider vinegar or ACV) is a kind of vinegar that is made from cider or apple must and has a pale to medium amber colour. Apples are crushed and the juice is squeezed out. Bacteria and yeast are added to the liquid for fermentation, and the sugar present in the juice becomes alcohol. In the second stage of fermentation, the alcohol is turned into vinegar by acetic acid-forming bacteria called acetobacter. The presence of acetic acid and malic acid give the vinegar its sour taste. Unpasteurized or organic ACV looks a little thick and clotted. It contains only about 3 calories per tablespoon and is therefore considered safe for most people.
Now, let’s see how apple cider vinegar or ACV can help us in living a healthy life. We will discuss how to use apple cider vinegar too.
Regulates Your Body???s pH – Apple cider vinegar contains acetic acid but has a more alkaline effect on the rest of your body. Balancing your body???s pH can reduce the risk of chronic illnesses like cancer and can improve your health.
- Simply add ACV to your diet.
A Great Natural Deodorant – Bad bacteria and yeast cause of body odour. The armpit and other private parts are the breeding ground for those odour-causing germs.
- Dab some apple cider vinegar on those areas with your fingers and smell fresh all day.
Treatment for Dandruff – ACV may help you get rid of dandruff because of its acidic nature. The microscopic organisms that cause dandruff cannot survive in the acidic environment. This is why you can use apple cider vinegar for hair too.
- Mix equal amount of ACV and water in a bowl.
- Fill a spray bottle with apple cider vinegar and spray twice a week on your scalp.
- After application, wrap your head with a towel and wash your hair after 30 minutes.
Natural Conditioner to Make Hair Shine – ACV is good for your hair too. It is a natural hair conditioner that makes your hair shine.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of organic apple cider vinegar and 1 cup of water and apply this on your hair after washing off the shampoo. For best results try this apple cider vinegar for hair treatment three times a week.
Removes Toxins From The Body – Unfiltered apple cider vinegar is a liver and lymphatic tonic that has the potential to detox your body. It maintains body???s pH balance and stimulates cardiovascular stimulation, bowel motility, and lymphatic drainage.
Treatment for Acne, Red Spots and Blemishes
ACV is a natural and cost-effective treatment for skin conditions. Regular application tones the skin too. It changes the pH of the skin and therefore kills acne-causing bacterias. The malic acid present in ACV has antibacterial, antifungal and antiviral properties.
- Apply diluted ACV on your face with a cotton ball.
- Make sure to dilute ACV enough to protect your sensitive skin.
- To be on the safer side, start with highly diluted ACV and gradually keep reducing the quantity of water you use for dilution.
- Generally adding 4 parts of water to 1 part ACV is considered safe.
Treatment for Stuffy Nose, Sore Throat and Bad Breath – ACV contains potassium and magnesium which can help you fight sinus infection. The high pH value of ACV, if consumed orally in small quantities, can help you get rid of the mucus and clear the nasal passages. It also helps you fight bad breath causing germs in mouth and throat.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of ACV in a glass of warm water and gargle well to get rid of stuffy nose and sore throat.
- Mix 1 part ACV with 4 parts water and gargle well to get rid of bad breath.
Treatment for Seasonal Allergies – ACV can cure and prevent seasonal allergies too.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of ACV in a glass of water and drink three times daily to cure allergies.
Treatment for Teeth Stain – ACV is acidic in nature and therefore has the potential to remove teeth stains effectively.
- Gargle with diluted ACV to remove teeth stain.
- But make sure to add enough water to ACV, else it can damage the teeth enamel which is not good.
- Regular use can help you whiten the teeth.
Treatment for Hiccups – This is the most effective treatment for hiccups you can have at home.
- For instant relief from hiccups, have 1 tablespoon of ACV. You may feel that your throat is burning a little but your hiccup will stop immediately.
- You may dilute 1 tablespoon of ACV in 1 tablespoon of water to minimize the burning sensation.
Treatment for Acid Reflux and Heartburn – pH imbalance, lack of enzymes and probiotics can cause acid reflux and heartburn.
- Add 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar to a cup of water and drink it five minutes before meals to get relief from acid reflux.
Not A Treatment for Cancer – ACV cannot cure cancer but can help you fight the disease because it improves your digestion and is good for overall health.
Possible Treatment for High Cholesterol and Obesity – It works on rats in labs and therefore is expected to work on humans too. But note that no study has confirmed its effectiveness in humans yet. You may try adding ACV to your food regularly and check the result because the acetic acid in ACV reduces specific LDL component ???triglycerides??? from the cholesterol numbers. Therefore, logically, lowering of triglycerides reduces plaque formation in the arteries and thus reduces the chance of getting a heart disease in future.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in a glass of warm water and drink daily before going to the bed or before dinner.
- Ask your doctor for further advice.
Treatment for Fungal Infection on Toes and Skin – The antibacterial and antifungal ingredients found in apple cider vinegar makes it a natural remedy for skin and toenail fungal infection.
- Simply rub ACV on the infected area two times daily.
Can Be Used As Varicose Veins Treatment – Apple cider vinegar may be used to treat varicose veins because it improves circulation in the vein walls and is anti-inflammatory, and therefore reduces bulging veins.
- Mix apple cider vinegar with witch hazel and rub on the affected veins in a circular motion and you will notice improvements in two weeks.
Treatment for Candida (Yeast) and Boost Probiotics – Candida and yeast infection affects millions. The side effects are bad breath, lack of energy, UTI???s and digestive issues. ACV contains ingredients which prevent candida and other infections.
- Remove sugar from your diet and have 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar three times daily to treat infections.
Home Remedy for Stomach Upsets and Indigestion – Blame bacteria for diarrhoea and stomach cramps. Apple cider vinegar is one of the best home remedies for these kinds of tummy troubles because pectin present in ACV helps to reduce the intestinal spasm and fight bacteria. ACV can be used to treat indigestion too.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of ACV with an equal amount of water and drink to get rid of these tummy troubles.
- Add 1 tablespoon of ACV and 1 tablespoon of honey to a glass of warm water. Mix it well and drink it 30 minutes before meals to avoid indigestion.
Probably Prevents Diabetes – Many studies indicate (not confirmed yet) that consuming ACV keeps Blood Sugar and insulin levels under control and may cure diabetes.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of ACV with 1 tablespoon of water and have the mixture before eating carbohydrates. Your blood sugar levels will not rise as high as usual.
- Having the mixture before going to bed may help too.
- If you are a diabetic, you must ask your doctor before you decide to have ACV.
A Potent Energy Drink – Amino acids, potassium, and enzymes present in ACV can energize you if you are fatigued.
- Add 1 tablespoon of Apple cider vinegar in a glass of carrot juice or any other vegetable juice and have this apple cider vinegar drink whenever needed.
May Prevent Nighttime Leg Cramps – Lower potassium levels in the body causes leg cramps.
- Drink a mixture of 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and 1 tablespoon of honey at night before going to bed to prevent nighttime leg cramps.
May Reduce Warts – ACV can make warts vanish too.
- Apply apple cider vinegar topically on the wart and then cover with a bandage. Let the bandage stay overnight and remove in the morning. Carry this treatment for a week or as long as the wart stays.
Natural Household Cleaner – Many household cleaning solutions contain ACV because of its anti-bacterial properties and the pH factors.
- Fill a spray bottle with water and ACV in equal quantities and spray on windows and tables for cleaning.
Treatment for Sunburn – ACV is a very good treatment for sunburn.
- Mix 1 cup of apple cider vinegar, ?? cup of coconut oil and lavender essential oil in lukewarm bath water to soothe sunburnt skin.
Treatment for Poison Ivy Infection – Organic, raw apple cider vinegar contains potassium. The potassium present in ACV can help reduce swelling and inflammation, improving the condition by getting the poison out of your skin.
Repel Fleas On Your Pets
- Mix apple cider vinegar and water in equal quantities in a tub and soak your pet. Do this one time a day for several weeks to free your pet from fleas.
Remember that apple cider vinegar or ACV is one of the much talked about product on the internet for its supposed health benefits. But you must understand that none of the claims or apple cider vinegar cures mentioned above has gone through strict scientific scrutiny. It is also true that just like many other food items that you eat and drink daily, apple cider vinegar diet is very safe and will not harm you much if consumed daily. No apple cider vinegar side effects have been observed yet by the scientific community. Still..before you decide to try these natural remedies out on yourself, consult your doctor.