Mangoes are yummy! They say eating a juicy Indian mango on a hot summer’s day will make you feel like you are devouring the “food of the gods.” There are few healthy and delicious foods as yummy as the mango fruit. Mangoes are one of the most delicious, nutritious and appetising fruits on earth! No wonder it is often referred to as the “queen of tropical fruits” worldwide.
Is eating Indian mango healthy?
Ripe mangoes are divine not only for their refreshingly sweet flavour, but loved for the health benefits of mango. Mangoes are loaded with 20 essential vitamins and minerals – vitamin C, vitamin A, E, K, B-vitamins, folate, iron, magnesium, potassium, selenium and calcium included. The powerful antioxidants in mangoes eliminate harmful free-radicals, so you can avoid premature ageing, heart disease, cancer and a host of other ailments.
- Anti-Cancer: Studies reveal that mangoes are rich in polyphenolic compounds and enzymes to fight cancer, cell degeneration and heart disease. Mango fruit protects cancer of the colon, breast, blood and prostate.
- Heart Health: Eat more mangoes to control high cholesterol. Fibre, pectin and vitamin C in mangoes help lower LDL or “bad” cholesterol.
- Digestion: Do you suffer from constipation, acidity or indigestion? One mango can provide nearly half of your daily fibre need. Eat mangoes to improve your digestion thanks to the numerous enzymes.
- Healthy Skin: Suffer from acne? Eat mangoes to clear clogged pores and eliminate pimples. Vitamin A and C also help produce collagen an important anti-ageing skin protein.
- Brain and Eye Health: Both beta-carotene and 25% DV of vitamin A promote good eyesight, prevents night blindness and dry eyes. Vitamin B6 and other brain-boosting B-vitamins improve neurotransmitter function, uplift mood and improve sleep.
- Boost your Immunity: Prepare your body to fight colds early by eating Indian mango in summer. Mangoes are loaded with vitamin C, vitamin A and beta-carotene that help remove toxins and free-radicals responsible.
- Blood and Bone Health: Anaemic or pregnant? Iron in mangoes will help you through a summer pregnancy. Iron content not only increases red blood cell count but also uplift your mood. The magnesium and vitamin K together help boost bone health.
- Prevent Heat Stroke: Juicing the raw green mango with water helps cool the body down by absorbing body heat.
Types of Indian Mango
Mango is India’s most popular fruit. It is the “king of fruits” here. There are few Indians who do not love the divine taste and fragrance that emanates from a beautiful red, yellow or green mango. You get so many varieties to choose from, starting with the Alfonso, Gulaab Khaas, Himsagar, Langra, Kesar to Chaunsa and Dasheri. They are awesome for protecting you right through hot Indian summers.
So why not go Indian and whip up a mango lassi and drink it chilled with your lunch? Make tangy mango chutney or pickled mangoes using raw green mangoes at the onset of an Indian summer. Store the mango pickle or aam ka achar in a glass jar, refrigerate and enjoy the preserve all year round.
How to devour mangoes in an Indian summer
Mangoes make Indian summers much more bearable. Cook yummy dishes with raw Indian mangoes. Or just peel a ripe mango, cube it and it will disappear! If you are creative in the kitchen, imagine how you could perk up an otherwise blah dish with this yummy fruit.
Blend yoghurt and a ripe mango to make a creamy, cold mango lassi drink. Add mango to chopped pineapple, peach and banana to complete your tropical fruit salad. Serve cubed mango with vanilla ice cream as a quick dessert. Make a homemade ice cream sweetened with overripe mango fruits instead of using sugar. Replace winter fruits make a tropical mango smoothie.. it is yum!
Add mango to your diet by making a delicious mango shake recipe, dessert or even a main course. Try these super easy and super cool Indian mango recipes, to beat the summer heat:
- Mango Chutney
- Raw Mango Sharbat (Juice)
- Mango Lassi
- Mango Fruit Salad
- Mango and Ice Cream
- Healthy Mango Smoothie
- Mango Banana Shake