Table of Contents
Paleo vs Keto: Is there a difference between the two diets?
Since the Atkins diet made low-carbs popular in the nineties, it has caught on in many diet meal plans and diet trends. Palaeolithic and Ketogenic diets are similar in some ways but they differ in more ways than most people think.
Paleo vs Keto: Here’s a list of differences
- Paleo eaters consume lean animal proteins, healthy fats, and some carbs from certain vegetables. But keto tries to force the body into ‘ketosis’. Keto diets focus on raising your body’s ketone levels. When your body is starved of carbs, it starts using the fat reservoirs for energy.
- Paleo focuses on the quality of food as opposed to the 3 main food groups.
- Unlike a keto diet, paleo is not necessarily high-fat. There are paleo diets that are modified to avoid saturated fats and some paleo diets are even vegetarian!
- Unlike keto, paleo allows some carbohydrates, including root veggies like sweet potatoes and pumpkin. Keto diets are strictly low-carb and high-fat..always!
- Unlike paleo, the ketogenic diet is not that strict about eating dairy. Paleo folks make a big deal about dairy, claiming it’s a big “no-no”.
- Unlike keto, paleo is associated with some weight-lifting and CrossFit.
- Unlike keto, paleo focuses on de-stressing the body and sleeping better.
Paleo vs Keto: Which diet works best for weight loss?
Yes, both paleo and keto diets can help you lose weight. But there’s one problem with both diets: Sustainability. These weight loss diets work if you stick to them, the longer the better. As with other low-carb diets, (like Atkins) once you go off the diet, you may gain the weight back quickly.
Paleo diets are based on the theory that prehistoric man did not have the chronic diseases that plague modern man, which means that eating that way is healthier. But nutritionists and experts tend to question this oversimplification, claiming the diet is not balanced and there is no proof that eliminating certain food groups can make people live longer or be disease-free.
Historically, the ketogenic diet was created to control disease and not for weight loss. A keto diet helps lower blood sugar and “bad” cholesterol and treats epilepsy. But some experts are questioning whether higher ketones in the body can be harmful.
Keto or Paleo: Which diet should you choose?
Everyone is different and the best diet choice for you may be different from, say, an ageing celebrity’s keto diet plan you have heard about. Try both diets and experiment a little. There is no reason you cannot combine paleo with keto, or switch between the two after 2 or 3 months.
If you want to lose weight fast, have a sweet tooth, or frequent cravings for dessert, go for keto. But if you want to eat healthy, generally with a more flexible diet and improve your digestive health, then try a paleo diet which is gluten-free, lactose-free and wheat free.
Before you start a new diet..
Remember, the best weight loss diet is the one you can actually stick to. Instead of quick fixes and fast weight loss, look for healthy, sustainable changes to your lifestyle. That way you will meet your long-term goals – not only your ideal weight but also your fitness, health and wellness goals.
And, don’t forget to check with your doctor or a dietician before starting new diet plans and supplements.