Table of Contents
Running out of hand sanitizer? Here is the DIY recipe. Make your own hand sanitizer at home.
As WHO has declared coronavirus pandemic, alcohol-based hand sanitizers are running out of stock. With this high-market demand, the price of the hand sanitizers is skyrocketed. Here in this article, we have written the WHO-recommended formula of making your own hand sanitizer in your home.
When you are unable to use soap and water, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that has at least 60-70% of ethyl alcohol. This concentration of alcohol is the most effective one for killing the germs.
The Ingredients You Need
We have listed the ingredients that you need (you can find most of them in your home) to make the hand sanitizer at home.
- 70-90% Isopropyl alcohol or rubbing alcohol
- Glycerine or Aloe vera gel (you can get it from the plant or store)
- Any essential oil
- Hydrogen Peroxide (Optional)
- Measuring cup
- 100 milliliters small plastic spray bottle
- Glass mixing bowl
Buy These Ingredients On Amazon
Why Do You Need These Ingredients
You have to use alcohol in your hand sanitizer as alcohol is a natural disinfectant. Buy either 99% isopropyl alcohol or 96% ethanol. These two types are easily available in every medicine shop and in the supermarkets. Isopropyl alcohol is commonly known as rubbing alcohol. DO NOT USE other types of alcohol such as Methanol, Butanol or others, they are usually toxic.
Glycerine or Aloe vera gel
WHO has recommended the use of glycerine or aloe vera gel as the emollient in your home-made hand sanitizer. You need emollient or humectants as they prevent the drying of your skin.
You should use Hydrogen Peroxide as the disinfectant. It is a type of antiseptic and also an oxidizer. Do not panic if you can not find hydrogen peroxide in the store. You can also make a WHO-recommended hand sanitizer without hydrogen peroxide.
How To Make The DIY Hand Sanitizer
To make the hand sanitizer stock the above-mentioned ingredients and measure them with the measuring cup.
- Take ¾ cup of rubbing alcohol in the mixing bowl.
- Pour ¼ cup of glycerine (or aloe vera gel) in it.
- Pour 4-5 drops of essential oil or lemon juice in it.
- Put 3% of hydrogen peroxide in it.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly with a clean spoon until they are well blended.
- Pour the mixture in the plastic spray bottle with the help of a funnel.
How To Use The Hand Sanitizer
You should not use the hand sanitizer when your hand is visibly dirty or greasy. Wash your dirty hand with soap and water first. To use the hand sanitizer:
- Spray or pour a little amount of hand sanitizer in your cupped hand.
- Make sure to cover the entire surface of your palm including the fingers.
- Rub the palms together.
- Continue rubbing for 20-30 seconds.
- Do not forget the skin between your fingers.
- Let your hand dry.
Hand sanitizer is the most travel-friendly way to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus. When you can not find hand sanitizers in the store, just follow the above-mentioned recipe and make your DIY hand sanitizer.
Always remember to keep the hand sanitizer out of reach of young children as the ingestion of rubbing alcohol can be dangerous.
Wash your hands with this homemade hand sanitizer every hour. This will prevent the spreading of the novel coronavirus.