Many people have heard of whey proteins, but few know what they are and why gym goers consume them and why trainers recommend whey protein supplements.
If you want to take your fitness to the next level, and are new to whey protein supplements, or are considering trying a new one, read on.
What is whey protein?
Whey is simply the water-soluble part of milk protein. Milk proteins consist of 80 % casein and 20% whey protein. When you scoop some yoghurt, the watery part that comes out contains whey. When you make paneer or cheese at home, you will notice that water separates from the cheese ??? this water contains whey protein.
There are 3 types of whey protein supplements:
- Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC) contains about 70???80% protein, some lactose (milk sugar) and fat but the best taste.
- Whey Protein Isolate (WPI) is 90% protein or higher; contains less lactose, fat and nutrients than whey concentrate.
- Whey Protein Hydrolysate (WPH) is hydrolyzed whey. It is pre-digested so it gets absorbed faster, but causes 28???43% spike in insulin levels compared to whey isolate.
As you can see, the various types of whey differ in protein content, taste, digestibility and price. And whey concentrate appears to be the best choice, generally.
What are the benefits of whey protein?
- Absorbs Quickly: Whey is absorbed by the body faster than other proteins making building muscle quick.
- Cuts Fat: Whey protein helps trim stubborn body fat in the body.
- Preserves Muscle: Whey protein is an excellent way to preserve muscle and promote growth if it is coupled with strength training.
- Boosts and Defends Body: Whey protein acts as a natural antioxidant booster by promoting glutathione formation. It helps defend against disease.
- Checks night-snacking: Whey protein checks appetite as it is all protein, giving a feeling of fullness. It prevents overeating and unhealthy munching.
Which whey protein brands should you try?
Every whey protein has a unique selling point and characteristic benefits. Here are their top whey protein supplements along with their benefits: Optimum Nutrition (ON), Muscle Blaze, Muscletech, Isopure, and Dymatize.
- Optimum Nutrition (ON) 100% Whey Gold Standard has topped the whey protein charts for a decade! One scoop contains 24g protein, low fat and lactose and carbs. It meets the standards of Public Health and Safety Company, NSF International, and GMPP. Glutamine, Glutamic Acid, Branched Chain Amino Acids (BCCAs), Valine, Isoleucine, Leucine are the building blocks in the ON whey product.
- MuscleBlaze Whey Protein is also one of the hottest whey supplements in India. The first point of attraction is this whey contains 11.3 grams of essential amino acids! This means the body can recover faster after an intense workout or training at the gym. Another attraction is it has 5.4 grams of BCAAs in each scoop. These amino acids promote growth and maintain the muscle mass even when a person is losing fat.
- Isopure Low Carb is a popular whey protein with a very low carb ratio, making it good for gaining lean muscle, without the carb or fat. It is made from proteins of soy, dairy, eggs, wheat, peanuts and tree nuts. The Isopure whey boasts of 50g protein from 100% Whey protein isolate.
- MuscleTech Nitrotech Performance Series is an ideal post-workout muscle recovery whey protein for cell repair and cell growth. Essential amino acids and protein building amino acids are easily absorbed into the bloodstream Amino acids needed for intense training, like alanine, glycine and taurine, are present in this post-workout whey formula.
- Dymatize Elite Whey supplement provides 25g protein, 4g of glutamine, and 5g of BCAAs in one serving (half of your daily protein requirement) for faster muscle tissue recovery. Essential and non-essential amino acids promote strength, endurance, and muscle growth after an intense workout session.
Take home message
Protein is king when it comes to muscle gain and fat loss. Whey protein supplements are quality proteins and a good way to get extra protein quickly to one???s diet. It is absorbed quickly and efficiently by the body and should be taken after an intense workout session. Whey is a perfect sports nutrition supplement for athletes, sports professionals, bodybuilders and people who want to gain muscle mass, strength and lose fat. Fitness experts and dieticians claim whey protein is even better than other proteins we get from a normal diet.
Remember: Always check with your trainer and doctor before taking any new supplement, especially if you have a kidney or liver problem.