Climate Change Impact Leads To Antarctica And Greenland Losing Ice Cover 6% Faster

Climate Change Impact

In the face of the global epidemic Coronavirus, nothing seems to hold much priority. However, it still cannot be overlooked, even if the human race manages to survive through this deadly epidemic currently disrupting life and living at large, there is still alarming effects of Climate Change that is about to welcome us with open arms. 

It world be very outrageous to say that Climate Change effects are not entirely visible to mankind. On the contrary, its effects have left a long-lasting impact and will continue to do so in the coming years. Recent developments on Climate Change states that its reach has been causing the Earth to lose its precious ice sheets in Antarctica and Greenland, that too, faster than what was reported in the 1990s. 

The data was obtained from the 11 satellite missions which were closely monitoring the region, which further gives an estimated rise of sea level by 6.7 inches by the year 2100 if the meltdown rate remains the same in the coming years. 

NASA states that ocean water is the result of half of Greenland and Antarctica’s ice melting and rising air temperature to some extent. In a journal named ‘Nature’ published by the International Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) on March 12, confirmed the worst-case scenario of this situation. A team of 89 scientists from 50 organizations was also supported by NASA and the European Space Agency (ESA). 

The changes in the ice sheets of Antarctica and Greenland between 1992 to 2018, were calculated by the 26 surveys conducted by the Ice Sheet Mass Balance Intercomparison Exercise team, taking measurements from different satellites, which include, NASA’s Ice, Cloud, and Land Elevation Satellite and another joint NASA-German Aerospace Center Gravity Recovery and Climate Experiment.

The results revealed that Greenland and Antarctica lost 81 billion tons of ice per year in the 1990s, while by the 2010s the loss increased to sixfold by 475 billion tons per year. Cumulatively, these two ice sheets have lost 6.4 trillion tons of ice from the 1990s which in turn boosted the sea level by 0.7 inches. NASA further explains the total sea-level rise is contributed by 60% by Greenland’s ice loss and while the rest of the 40% can be given credit to Antarctica’s ice meltdown. 

Climate Change has affected the world in many dangerous ways and continues to do so unless we learn to counter it collectively. The study concludes with the gory details and a warning about the outcome of this continuous loss of ice, which is destined to cause floods affecting millions by the year 2100.

Sukanya Chakraborty
Sukanya Chakraborty

Leave a Reply